Thursday, October 16, 2014

Suggestions on How to Build a Classroom Library

I can remember when I was leaving my classroom to take my current instructional coaching position (in June 2012), making a decision about what to do with my classroom library was a huge struggle. I knew I could box up my books and store them in my garage, but then it would be boxes and boxes and boxes that would be taking up space and collecting dust and never getting used.  I finally had to make the decision to let them go . . . I had to walk away from them.  A collection that I had been working on for so many years (since 1992).  Some of my books traveled with me from my classroom at Mesa Elementary in Clovis, NM.  This photo is half of the books that were part of my collection.  The good news about leaving them is that some first year teachers, who I mentor at Bransford Elementary (fifth grade), have been able to use these books with their students.

I have some ideas on how to build a classroom library based on what I did and what I have seen others doing now that I am in a position to work with many teachers regularly:
1.  Scholastic Points - many teachers know that when students order books from Scholastic they receive points based on what is sold.  Teachers can then choose and purchase books using points increasing their collection.
2.  School Book Fair - the librarian at my school allowed teachers to create a "Wish List" of books the Friday before the week-long school fair that we would like for our classroom.  Some students (or parents) would purchase these titles and they would be added to our classroom library.
3.  DonorsChoose.org - a teacher I work with at O.C. Taylor Elementary gave me this idea.  She went to this website, created an account, chose books she wanted for her classroom and when random "donors" gave her money at this website - it would purchase books through Amazon that were then sent directly to her.
4.  Students Donate - My students also knew that adding books to my shelf was a priority.  Some students liked to read a book from home (new or old) and then when they were finished with it - they might donate it to our class library.  What became a HUGE motivator by accident in the beginning is when I would add the student's name and the date they donated the book on the inside cover.  They really liked knowing that future students might see their name in this book that they donated!
5.  Half Price Book Store - I spent many hours hanging out at this book store.  They have a clearance section with young adult literature titles that I would sometimes buy anywhere from $.50-$2.00.  I spent so much money over the years - but it really helped to provide many titles to my library.  I always wanted my students to have many choices in our classroom!
6.  School Library - I jumped at the chance to take discontinued books from our school library.  Bluebonnet books were good titles to snag!  Librarians would often get multiple copies of these titles so many students had access to them during the year of their nomination.  After that year (or the next few years) they would let some of these books go.  I always tried to be one of the first in line to get these books.
7.  Apple Giving Tree (or any other themed display) - this is a great display in the hallway outside of the classroom.  Teachers could add favorite or wanted book titles to die-cut apples (placed on a tree) that they would like added to the classroom library.  Students and/or parents (especially ready for Meet the Teacher Night or Curriculum Night) could pluck an apple or two, take it with them, shop at a local books store, and then have a book to give to their teacher.
8.  Craigslist - a place to find and purchase young adult literature books that could be inexpensive.  Some teachers may even want to create an ad where they are requesting books to help build their classroom libraries.  You never know who will help when you put it out there!

I maintained my classroom library with the use of student librarians.  I started the year by giving interested students a job application.  I sorted through the applications and chose about four students who I thought would take care of our library efficiently.  These students were responsible for checking in books and reshelving them too.  I had a specific drop off spot where all books were placed when students finished their book.  Librarians would pull from this place, check the books back in taking away the student slip, and then placing them back on the shelf!  It took me many years to perfect my system - and when I did, it was a smooth process that never required any time on my part!

No comments:

Post a Comment