Monday, May 4, 2015

Math in Motion - or ??? in Motion

I know it seems odd for me to be making a post about math, but it is true, this is a "math" resource.  I received this website from Steve Borney one night after a twitter chat.  He reached out to me and asked me to check out this link.  I visited the website with the intention of just seeing what it was about.  When I arrived at the site - I noticed there was a 5-minute video about his Math in Motion.  I started to watch it.  After about two minutes in - I was hooked!  I bought into the idea completely - and my Humanities brain started to think about how this strategy could be used in ELA, Reading, and Social Studies.  I realized it wasn't just a math strategy!

Take a minute to watch this video.  It is a great way to possibly take a traditional teaching method and making it a more interactive and a fun way for your students to learn. 

http://www.stevewyborney.com/?p=218

Questions I am thinking:

  1. How could a teacher use this strategy to reinforce figurative language?
  2. How could an exploration of poetry be used through this process?
  3. Could a timeline review of social studies concepts be used through a structure like this?
  4. Would a concept like this help with a test review?

As a coach who works with teachers to try out new instructional methods, I would jump at the chance to help a teacher design a lesson using this as a model!


1 comment:

  1. Am I posting this twice? Sigh - I never know...

    I saw the same post and tried it with a spelling activity that week. Definitely like it and have plans for an organizational method that will allow me to easily change questions... 1st graders were very engaged!

    ReplyDelete